Additional specifications of interest:
Fuel oil capacity: 250 gallon (US)
Lube oil capacity: 50 gallon (US)
Water capacity: 40 gallon (US)
Tractive effort: 26,400 lbs.
Quincy 3 was the first diesel locomotive used by this little line that connected with the Western Pacific just east of Keddie, California. The Quincy was built in
response to the WP bypassing the town of Quincy when the mainline was built. Quincy is the seat of Plumas County and was the home of Arthur Keddie, the
man who first surveyed the route of the WP and advocated its construction.
44 tonner 3 relegated Alco 2-6-2T 2 to stand-by service when it arrived, but the steamer did not leave until 1970, seeing occasional use on excursion trains.
Today, QRR 2 is operational at the Niles Canyon Ry.
The 3 served as the main motive power until S-1 4, ex-WP 504, arrived in 1973. It was eventually retired and donated by the QRR's owner, Sierra Pacific Industries
(as was QRR 4). The 3 is being returned to full operation. An interesting fact about the Quincy is that, except for steamer 1, every locomotive the railroad
has ever owned still exists.
This engine has never been out of Plumas County since it was delivered to the Quincy in 1945.